2021 Swimming and Diving Classes
We break out our Swimming and Diving classes into four sessions over the summer. Click on a session to view class day/time/fee information. Class descriptions are below.
Session One: 6/14-6/25 click here
Session Two: 6/28-7/9 click here
Session Three: 7/12-7/23 click here
Session Four: 7/26-8/6 click here
Saturday Summer-Long 8 Week: 6/12-8/7 click here
Special Pool Classes
Catch some sunshine and get a nice stretch with our poolside yoga class!
Group Swim Lessons
The perfect way to introduce your little one to the water!
Level I: Water Exploration
This class will familiarize the student with the aquatic environment and will focus on supported floating, water entry and exit, and beginning kicking and arms.
Level II: Primary Skills
Unsupported floating with kicks and arms are the primary skills you will learn at this level. There is also an emphasis on fundamental locomotion skills used in the front and back crawl.
Level III: Stroke Readiness
Improving previous skills and breath control are emphasized at this level. New skills include elementary backstroke, introduction to diving, and treading water.
Level IV: Stroke Development
New strokes include breaststroke, sidestroke, and the introduction of competitive turns. The students will increase their confidence with the knowledge of all of the basic strokes.
Level V: Stroke Refinement
A review of front crawl, backstroke, breaststroke, and sidestroke. Introduction of butterfly stroke and springboard diving safety.
Level VI: Skill Proficiency
Continued review of all strokes with introduction of flip turn for front crawl is the objective of this level. Pike and tuck surface dive introduced.
Level VII: Advanced Skills
Continued review of all strokes and turns. Tread water five minutes, retrieve diving brick, springboard front dive in tuck and pike position, and introduction of back stroke flip turn.
Enrollment is limited to 10 in each class. Please register for the proper level class. Attendance at all sessions is strongly encouraged so all students are learning the same skills at the same time.
Class prerequisites: Little/no experience, water safe, able to listen and follow directions. Goals: Three-step approach/hurdle and jump into the water on 1m, back jump on 1m, front dive on 1m, back dive on 1 m, inward drive on 1m, front somersault on 1m, front jump on 3m, back jump on 3m, front line-up on 3m. Eight lessons in each two-week session are guaranteed.
Class prerequisites: Limited experience, ability to perform the dives listed as goals for the Beginning Diving I class. Goals: Reverse dive on 1m, front 1 1/2 on 1'm, back somersault on 1m, reverse somersault on 1m, inward somersault on 1m, back line-up on 3m, front dive on 3m, inward dive on 3m. Eight lessons in each two-week session are guaranteed.
Prerequisites: Previous experience, ability to perform the dives listed as goals for the Beginning Diving II class. Goals: Add basic dives in several different positions, add twisting dives, add more 3m dives, and improve entries into the water in all directions. Eight lessons in each two-week session are guaranteed.
The Park District reserves the right to cancel or combine classes when there is insufficient enrollment. All children must meet age requirements by the first day of the session.
Parents and spectators are allowed to watch the swim lessons from the concessions areas. Parents will be allowed on deck to take pictures of swim lessons on the last day of class. Due to state health codes and safety, no one is allowed on the deck with shoes. Children who wear diapers must also wear tight fitting plastic pants.
- Eight lessons in each two week program are guaranteed (Six lessons are guaranteed for Saturday lessons)
- Make ups due to vacation or illness cannot be arranged
- If three classes are cancelled due to weather conditions a make-up lesson will be offered the Saturday immediately following the third cancelled class. We cannot guarantee your child's assigned teacher will conduct the make-up class
- If inclement weather prohibits Saturday/Sunday make ups, the make up lesson will be moved to the following weekend
- Diving class make ups will be scheduled as needed with our diving instructor
- Parent/Tot make up lessons can be arranged by notifying a Learn to Swim supervisor and attending any available weekend class time. No additional classes will be scheduled. Parents are responsible for notifying the class supervisor that they will be attending a make up session prior to the start of the class. Supervisors have the discretion to limit attendance based on class sizes and pool space available.