SEPTEMBER 20: Administration Office Closed - Our Administration Office at Village Hall will be closed starting at 1:30 pm through the remainder of the day, 9/20.
800 Gillson Park Drive, Wilmette, IL 60091
About the Project
Lakeview Center History
The Lakeview Center, located in Gillson Park, was built in 1989. The Lakeview Center’s primary use has served many functions over the past 32 years including, but not limited to, lakefront staff offices and customer service location, a support facility and concession stand for Wallace Bowl performances and concerts, a rental venue, a summer camp site, a recreation programming site, and a washroom support for Gillson Park.
Lakeview Center Renovation Project Inception
Since 1989 the Lakeview Center has had two additions; the exterior deck and interior fireplace. In addition, various interior updates have been undertaken in a more reactive manner, instead of with thoughtful, proactive consideration to facility function, long-term goals, or consistent, appropriate interior design.
The Lakeview Center Renovation Project was originally slated as a part of the 2020 Fiscal Year Capital Improvement Plan. The Wilmette Park District contacted Woodhouse Tinucci Architects to create the attached Lakeview Center Design Concept and subsequent phased approach to completion.
Planning Goal and Outcomes
The overall goal of the Lakeview Center Renovation Project is to improve the function, appearance and value of the building. Updates will better reflect the current and future offerings available to the community.
The Wilmette Park District worked with Woodhouse Tinucci Architects to create the attached Lakeview Center Design Concept and subsequent phased approach to completion. The attached presentation illustrates the current conditions as well as the conceptual updates to the facility. Andy Tinucci will be in attendance for the next Committee meeting to walk the committee and public through the presentation.
In addition to aesthetic updates, the conceptual design also enhances the usable space within the facility, without changing the building footprint. Currently, the Lakeview Center has approximately 2,300 sq ft. of usable interior space and 844 sq ft. of usable exterior space. The proposed updates will increase usable interior spaces to 2,840 sq ft. and usable exterior spaces to 1,278 sq ft. This is about a 21% and 40% increase, respectively.
we are not increasing the building footprint of the Lakeview Center.
While the work could be accomplished all at one time, staff recognize that the resources of the Parl District are limited, and needs to be carefully managed to meet the demands of the overall District. To this end, an option of how to phase the work has been created as well to provide financial flexibility if necessary
Documents and Downloads
Lakefront Committee discussion on next steps / upper and lower level washrooms
Regular Park Board meeting, Lakeview Center renovation project update
Regular Park Board meeting, Lakeview Center renovation presentation
Lakeview Center renovation forum at Community Recreation Center
Lakeview Center renovation forum at Lakeview Center
Newly renovated Lakeview Center opens to the public.
- As the project nears completion, crews are working on exterior and interior painting, and installation of fixtures and doors. We are still waiting for glass and interior/exterior railings for the stairs and deck. Final inspection of the fire alarm and sprinkler system with Fire Safety Consultants, Inc. and the Wilmette Fire Department is set for June 12.
- Lakeview Center renovation continues to run smoothly. Demolition of the existing deck footers and piers is complete, and new deck footings and piers are bring installed. Demo of lower-level corridors is complete.
- Demolition of the lower patio concrete is complete, and many interior walls on the second floor have been removed.
- The Lakeview Center project has begun and demolition work started the week of October 10. Lakefront staff is working out of the Community Recreation Center for the duration of the construction project.
- Quinn Corporation has been selected to manage the project as General Contractor. Drawings will be ready to send to bid in coming days.